Nykøbing is mentioned for the first time in 1299. The city got it's municipal charters during the Middle Ages, and flourished due to the islands quality farmland, the rich fishing industry and it's shipping trade. In the 1600s the economy was in a slump due to wars, epidemics and city fires. The current estate in the city is primarily from the last 200 years. Nykøbing is the islands capital and houses approx. 9.000 citizens.
In the small streets of the waterfront district, archeologists has found the oldest (from the 1200s) known proofs of the citys existence. The district cosists of small houses, which are some of the oldest in the city, that used to be homes for workers, craftsmen and fishermen.
Throughout the city you'll see several interesting sculptures, erected by e.g. Erik Heide, who has also put Aksel Sandemose and his famous "jantelov" in relief, outside the author's birthplace, Færkenstrede 12.
Ørodde, which protects Nykøbings bay to the east, is a lush area with plantation, recreation area, the city's beach - Østerstrand -, a hostel and a sports facility. The plantation was built in the 1800s as a public park with a playground, and is still a liked excursion point.
The Sct. Clemens chuch was erected in 1890-91, at the ruins of the city's church from the Middle Ages. Among other things, it houses the preserved furniture from the old church. The altarpiece is painted by August Jerndorff, starring morsian citizens as models.
The city is known as a good commercial centre with many special shops, and exciting dining options.